Answers to your most asked questions
We have put together a list and some simple step-by-step videos to answer some of the most common questions we get asked.
Windows 10 upgrade - problems printing or scanning?
- I have upgraded to Windows 10 but am having problems printing or scanning.
To rectify this please follow our simple step by step guide or short video.
Setting up your printer for the first time?
- If you have a computer and want to print from it you will need to install some Brother software as part of the process.
To install the printer drivers and software for your PC, Mac, Laptop, just follow our simple step by step guide or 90 second ‘how to’ video.
- I need to set up wifi on my printer. How do I connect my Brother printer to my wifi network?
Just follow our simple step by step guide or 60 second ‘how to’ video .
- The ‘Install Starter Inks’ message is on display. What do I do?
The Install Starter Ink message will appear if the first ink cartridge you install are not using the cartridges that came with the machine. To clear the message follow these steps.
- My printer wifi connection has dropped off. What do I do?
You need to reset the wifi on your printer? Find out how by following our simple step by step guide or 60 second ‘how to’ video.
- My Brother printer is connected wirelessly but it is saying offline on my computer. How do I fix it?
This is normally caused by the wifi router dropping the printer off the network. To resolve this please switch off the power to your wifi router for at least 5 minutes and then turn it back on. If this doesn’t resolve your issue please contact the Brother Helpdesk.
Smart device printing
- I want to print from smart phone or tablet. How do I do this?
All you need to do is install our iPrint&Scan app. Just follow our simple step by step guide or 60 second ‘how to’ video.
You can also use our NFC technology to print straight from your smart device. This is perfect when you don’t have a WiFi connection. Just follow our simple step by step guide or 60 second ‘how to’ video.
Print directly from Google Cloud
- Can I print directly from my Google Cloud folders without any smart device or computer?
Yes, there are a number of web-based apps that you can access directly from our printers. To find out how to print directly from Google Cloud just follow our simple step by step guide or 2 minute ‘how to’ video.
Printouts are not perfect
Paper jams and scanning
- I have a paper jam – how do I fix it?
If you have a laser device follow this link.
If you have an inkjet device follow this link.
- My machine is printing OK but will not scan – how can I get it to scan too?
If you are using Windows please click here to find the steps you need to follow.
If you are using a Mac please click here to find the steps you need to follow.
Replacing inks/toners and drums
- The replace inks message is still showing even after I have replaced the ink cartridges. What do I do?
If a replacement ink cartridge is not installed correctly, this may occur. To resolve this click here and follow the steps.
The replacement toner message is still showing even after I have replaced the toner. What do I do?
There are a couple of reasons this message might appear. Follow this link and follow the steps Replace toner message remains even after the cartridge has been replaced.
I am getting a ‘Replace drum' message. How do I do this?
b) Mono Laser MFC
- If I use non-genuine ink/toners or refills, does this affect my 4 year onsite warranty?
Yes, your eligibility to participate in our 4 year onsite warranty promise becomes void. Your warranty reduces to a standard 12 months Return To Base warranty. Read more here.
- We’ve been made aware of several customers who have been offered technical help by the ‘Brother Printer Support NZ’ website.This is NOT an official Brother website or sanctioned Brother repair agent.
If you require technical help, please refer to http://www.brother.co.nz/Public/TSPlocator for your nearest Brother Technical ServiceProvider or call our NZ based 7-day Helpdesk on 0800 329 111. Please also note that our Brother Helpdesk will never ask you for your bank account details over the phone.